Eyestrain is a common condition that occurs when your eyes get tired from intense use, such as driving long distances, or more commonly in our society now, using digital devices. Devices such as laptops, TVs and cell phones can contribute to eyestrain. Although we cannot avoid our digital world, there are steps one can take to alleviate straining. Here is a list of some tips you can benefit from today:
1. Adjust the lighting: when watching tv, it may be easier on the eyes if the room is softly lit, when reading, position the light source behind you so that you are not staring into the light
2. Take breaks: many people are working from home during the pandemic, and it is important to take breaks from reading or screen time to give your eyes a break. Generally, taking a break for 2-3 minutes every 15 minutes could be a good timeframe, or every hour at the bare minimum
3. Limit your screen time, especially with children, who tend to lose track of screen time. For adults and kids who use laptops, try the app Flux, which can reduce the emission of blue light from the laptop. The American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry recommend limiting screen time for children less than 18 months years old. For children 2-5, the recommended times are no more than 1 hour on weekdays and 3 hours on weekends. For children 6 or older, there are no established timeframes but encouraging healthy habits that do not include screen time are recommended.
4. Go to the eye doctor! Make sure your vision is tested and treated if you need corrective eyewear.
5. Blink often, it can moisten and refresh your eyes.
6. Blue light blocking glasses can help reduce eye strain for those with a lot of screen time, search Google or Amazon for options
7. For cataracts, adults can use Can-C, which is a lubricant eye drop product with N-acetylcarnosine. This compound acts as a potent antioxidant topically.
8. If you are already having difficulty with your vision from allergies, general strain or irritation, consider iTone eye drops. This product is a combination of Ayurvedic herbs that act as anti-inflammatories and antioxidants.
9. Finally, check out Professional Formulas Eye Renew , which is an awesome blend of antioxidants, herbs and synergistic co-factors to support healthy vision support.